When deploying a traditional fixed RFID Reader System, there are usually a various activities that you go through before you get to the installation step. Just to list a couple:
- RFID tag, hardware and software selection
- Site survey and workflow analysis
- Proof of concept testing
- System design
However, at the time of installation, it’s a great idea to check the following to make your installation as smooth as possible:
- Only connect / disconnect an RFID antenna to an RFID reader when the device is powered off .
- Angle the antennas to increase the dwell time (the time tag spends in the read zone when traveling through).
- Install antennas with an adjustable swivel mount for adjustment of the antenna height and angle to modify the read zone.
- Sure that RF cable connectors are tight!
- Protect the RFID readers and antennas so they don’t get bumped, moved or damaged.
- Ensure that LED’s and visual indicators on the RFID device are easily visible. This is important to be able to visually verify status lights.
- When mounting RFID readers, ensure that there is enough spacing so that cables can be easily added or removed later on.
- Cable lengths from one reader to pairs of antennas should be equal (to ensure that the attenuation is equal).
- Visually inspect the installed AC outlets and Ethernet cable runs.
- Check functions of I/O devices and their correct placement.
Need help with your RFID project – let us know!